Thursday, February 2, 2012

Teriyaki Salmon, Ginger-Garlic Brown Rice & Creamed Spinach

I try to have one or two meals a week with fish, and, normally, that fish is salmon. I try to make it interesting whenever we have it, so we don't get bored with it. But, this teriyaki salmon is a classic and always an easy go-to dish.

My Salmon Preparation:

  1. Thawed the individually packaged salmon fillets in the sink with room temp water.
  2. When completely thawed, took fillets out of packaging and placed on a plate.
  3. Poured Kroger brand 30-Minute Marinade: Teriyaki over the fillets. Amount you use is up to you. I make sure the fish is entirely covered - even the sides.
  4. Lightly sprinkled Tony Chachere's More Spice on fillets.
  5. Turned oven on 350 and let fish set until oven is preheated.
  6. When oven gets to 350, gently place fillets in glass baking dish (make sure the marinade has begun being absorbed by the fish) and put in oven on middle rack. Set timer for 15 minutes. Then, start on your rice.

Rice Preparation:

  1. Poured 1 cup of chicken broth into small saucepan.
  2. Added 1/4 tablespoon of ground ginger, 3/4 tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and 1 tsp olive oil to water. (If you use low-sodium broth, you may want to add a dash or two of salt, or you can always wait to the end and add it if necessary.)
  3. Bring water to a boil and stir in 1 cup of instant brown rice.
  4. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes - until rice is cooked through.

When the time is up on the salmon, take the dish out of the oven. Find the thickest part of the fillet(s) and lightly press your finger on it. If the fish gives and you feel it sort of flaking/separating, then it is ready. If it feels firm and does not seem to be ready to flake, return it to the oven, and check again in a few minutes.

The spinach was Bird's Eye Steamfresh creamed spinach. I treasure this stuff b/c it's no work, tastes good and takes 5 minutes in the microwave! I do add to it, once the 5 minutes it up, though. I always add a couple of dashes of salt, sprinkle grated parmesan into the bag and stir well. Sometimes, I add other spices, but I didn't feel like this meal needed any more flavors. I also sprinkled some more parmesan on top once I put the servings on the plates.

This was a pretty tasty, healthy and filling meal. Ryan, of course, still had dessert later, but I was good for the rest of the night...especially since I didn't have to do the dishes. :)

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment